Chef Andrew Wilkinson
Celebrate the Fall Season with this Oktoberfest Inspired Recipe!
Battered and fried seafood, I think we can all agree, is objectively awesome. While this treat is usually reserved for seasonal visits to clam shacks and seafood restaurants, it doesn’t HAVE to be be!
It takes a confident and informed home cook to prepare a fried dish at home. But this simple 5-ingredient home recipe breaks down, step by step, how to safely prepare crispy, golden brown fried shrimp in your own kitchen.
Beer Battered Shrimp with Rosemary Lemon Aioli
- Heat Thermometer
- Perforated Spatula
- 1 lb Naked Raw Shrimp (21/25) peeled and deveined, tail on thawed and patted dry
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Corn Starch
- 1 each Egg beaten
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 12 oz Clown Shoes Mango American Kolsch
- Canola Oil
Rosemary Lemon Aioli
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Fresh Rosemary chopped
- ½ each Lemon zest and juice
- to taste Kosher Salt and fresh cracked Black Pepper
Rosemary Lemon Aioli
- Mix all ingredients and chill until ready to serve.
Making Beer Batter
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, corn starch, and kosher salt.
- In a smaller mixing bowl, add your egg and 12oz. of beer. Beat mixture until well combined.
- Make an opening in your flour mix and pour beer mixture.
- Whisk well until the consistency is that of a thin milkshake. Add a touch more beer to loosen, if necessary.
- Heat 2-3 inches of Canola oil to 350°F in a large pot. Use cooking thermometer to test temperature.
- Pick up 2 shrimp in each hand, by the tails.
- Coat in dusting of flour and shake off excess.
- Dip into beer batter and shake off excess.
- *TAKE GREAT CAUTION* Submerge in Canola oil up to the tail & “swim” shrimp around in the oil for 5 seconds before releasing them into oil.
- Fry for 2 – 2.5 minutes, or until Golden Brown.
- Remove shrimp onto paper towel covered plate using a perforated spatula, so there is no excess oil.
- Season with a sprinkle of Kosher salt while still hot.
- Serve immediately with Rosemary Lemon Aioli.